January 6: Social gathering
2007 Jan 03 12:21

Re: [vox] Finally tried Xgl &cetera

Bill Kendrick wrote:
So I tried Xgl, compiz, beryl and emerald for the first time last night.
(I'm running the latest Kubuntu on a 32-bit Athlon w/ an Nvidia card.)

I must say... it's quite fun.
+1 Very cool stuff. I recently started playing with Beryl recently too, and have been having lots of fun with it. Rotating the cube, making the cube transparent, making a window wrap around the edge of the cube between 2 desktops, having the app windows stack in front of each other in 3D - all very cool stuff. Makes me less jealous of all my friends with Macs. :-)

I think my favorite feature, though, is using the pause/break button to access the "scale" feature, which lays out all your windows in miniature across your desktop and lets you choose one to maximize via either the keyboard or mouse. It's a really nice way to do application switching.

DR