Re: [vox] Web Browsers for Kids

On Dec 21, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Micah Cowan wrote:

I'm not sure I agree that technology can't act as a foolproof
safeguard... obviously, it can't work against an older child who is
deliberately working to get around it (I know this quite well, having
been that "older child" in the past ;) )... but obviously, a
restrictive /etc/hosts with no name resolution, possibly combined with
very restrictive firewalling, would make a /quite/ effective tool for
restricting access to specific sites. Of course, that sort of
globally-applied restriction isn't quite what I want, but there should
be a way to do the same thing for a specific application/user.
Well if we're talking whitelist, I totally agree with you. Finding an app-specific way to say something like "deny from all, allow from pbskids.org" would totally work. Setting up a local proxy sounds like one (perhaps overkill, but effective) way to do it. I'd like to hear what you come up with.

Dave