2006 Sep 28 08:56

Re: [vox] Re: Laptop purchase recomendation

Re: [vox] Re: Laptop purchase recomendation

And in the case of the HP laptop I was considering. They use a Broadcom mini-pci wireless card which has no Linux support, I would rather use an Atheros card since they openly support Linux with drivers and regular updates.  The thought of paying $2600 for a laptop that I cannot use the way I want to is sickening.  I mean sure they could update the Bios later and it could fix all of this,  or I could use a Atheros PCMCIA card like I currently do. But it is the idea that i cannot have the choice of what mini-pci card to use if i don't like the one it came with.  As long as it is a standardized card in a standardized slot it should work in my opinion, that's the whole point of standardization. It just seems to me that white-listing is actively working against that at the customers expense.

Joshua