2006 Sep 28 08:56

[vox] RE: Laptop Purchase recommendation

[vox] RE: Laptop Purchase recommendation

> HP Pavilion dv9000t customizable Notebook Pc
> EZ379AV
> 	 	 Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0 GHz)
> 	 	 17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
> 	 	 512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
> 	 	  HP IMPRINT Finish + Microphone + Webcam
> 	 	  FREE Upgrade to 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)!!
> 	 	 240 GB 5400 RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120 GB x 2)
> 	 	 FREE Upgrade - LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
> 	 	  Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
> 	 	 HP ExpressCard Analog TV Tuner w/remote control
> 	 	 Two High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries
> 	 	 HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
I'd like to chip in and say that out of the 2 HP laptops I've installed linux on (Debian on both), everything has worked out nicely. Took a week of tweaking with the kernel of one to get the graphics to work with xwindows but otherwise I've had no issues. I've also managed to get a pair of toshibas working without much stress (although the wireless was hard with those).

To kibbitz a bit, I do have one thought about your specs:
1) Although I can understand throwing 2 HDs of epic proportions in your laptop for raidability and massive storage, you're eating a lot of power (or if you aren't raiding, do you *really* need 240 GB on your laptop?). If you stuck in a single smaller HD in your laptop and bought some old P3 to act as a networked HD (+webserver or whatever else you might want,) you'd have the space and a laptop with more battery life (not to mention lighter and generating less heat). Even using a 60G shared partition and 20G OS partitions you're still talking about generously fitting 3 OSs onto a single 120G drive. Personally I'd go smaller and do 10G per OS (*4) + 40G shared partition for an 80G drive and use the saved money on disk for my server.

Also, if you're building a crazy gaming rig (which it seems you are), have you ever considered just getting a micro-tower (one of those shuttles/competitors)? They cost a lot less, are almost as portable (just a different type of bag really), and don't give you the issues with heat induced crashing or warping the HD.