January 6: Social gathering
2006 Sep 26 13:33

[vox] Re: Laptop purchase recomendation

On 9/25/06, Joshua Morris <bullring@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am shopping for a new laptop and am looking for suggestions on laptops that work well with Linux.  I have been looking at HP's dv9000t  with the core 2 duo chip set.  At < $2,800 i'm scared to exaust my student budget on it if it is not going to do what I am looking for.  This is the configuration I am looking for:

HP Pavilion dv9000t customizable Notebook Pc
EZ379AV
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0 GHz)
  • 17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
  • 512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
  • HP IMPRINT Finish + Microphone + Webcam
  • FREE Upgrade to 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)!!
  • 240 GB 5400 RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120 GB x 2)
  • FREE Upgrade - LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
  • Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
  • HP ExpressCard Analog TV Tuner w/remote control
  • Two High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
If you use any other brands that have similar specs let me know.  If you have had any good/bad experiences with Linux on a hp that too would be greatly appreciated.
I looked around on Google to see if I could find any websites that might have more information, but there wasn't much available becuse the laptop has only been out a few months.

Joshua

Thank you all for your input.  After looking over the websites you have all posted and the points you have all made.  I have decided not to buy the HP because of their use of BIOS white-listing noted by some of you( I even called hp customer service and the sales rep hesitated but did confirm that this model has the same bios white-listing "feature") in the websites that were mentioned.  It is a shame that computer manufactures like HP want to cripple their products in this way.

Joshua