2006 Sep 26 07:46

Re: [vox] Laptop purchase recomendation

On 9/25/06, Don Werve <donw@agentsix.net> wrote:
On 09/25/2006, at 20:36, Joshua Morris wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am shopping for a new laptop and am looking for suggestions on
> laptops that work well with Linux.  I have been looking at HP's
> dv9000t  with the core 2 duo chip set.  At < $2,800 i'm scared to
> exaust my student budget on it if it is not going to do what I am
> looking for.  This is the configuration I am looking for:

Um, you're a student. Get something used or refurbished and save
yourself the money; you'll find plenty of other things that you need
to buy.  If you're going to buy new, go for a low-end unit; you can
get some very decent new laptops for around $600/$700, plus around
$150 for a RAM upgrade, that will run Linux very nicely.

I thought about the refurbished route but would like a warranty that covers accidental damages and things just in case something happens.

If you're planning on studying abroad, get a Mac[1].  Actually, my
general advice is to get a MacBook, and load it with 3rd-party RAM.
Under $1300 out-the-door.

What are you planning on doing with your laptop?

I would like to work more with virtualization since the SA field is slowly going that direction. I currently run Gentoo on my Dell C600(p3) and would like to run Gentoo & Xen in a domU kernel on a multi-core processor. I am a CS major  and do System administration and programing.

[1] AFAIK, none of the PC manufacturers will honor warranties
overseas; you have to ship your computer back to the US, and models
sold overseas are usually different from U.S. kit.  Apple at least
gets this one right.

That is a good thing to know, but i probably will not be doing much traveling for a while...