2006 Sep 21 23:18

[vox] RE: security dilemma

These responses thus far are all excellent security measures that essentially tell you to secure your box w/o using address-based authentication. Their security measures are important but do remember that even if you can exclude half of the IPs from connecting to your machine, that's a significant portion of the internet that wont be able to attack you (it sounds like you can even get down to excluding 24/25ths of the internet even.)

You mentioned that you couldn't figure out what the full range of allowable IPs are for your ISP. This is generally fairly easy to ascertain with a few ARIN lookups (check the various IPs you've got and you'll probably find a common company who's range you can stick in your allow list.)

Alternatively, someone suggested using DynDNS as a service to constantly update what your current IP and stick that in an allow rule (This is what I do and it works nicely). DynDNS of course costs a yearly fee (granted, having a "static" dynamic address is handy for all sorts of other things too) whereas the ARIN lookups are free.

Just thought I'd mention the relatively easy ARIN lookup solution.

- Brandon Tearse