2006 Aug 20 11:11

Re: [vox] Why Linux FS doesn't need defragmenting

I have a question that, in a sense, is related to this article. Forgive my ignorance as this might sound really, really stupid:

From what I have absorbed in the past a hard drive is just a big floppy with
a writing arm built in. It is made of what appears to be a tape like material but a stack of them, right?

Anyways...Why is it that this type of storage device is still used? Seems crude in that we have gone a long ways with electronics. Couldn't they just use some sort of electronic device? It would seem that a large ic chip like device could be able to be read and rewrote with ease.

I thought about this as I was thinking about computers on cars (thats my bag, I'm a mechanic). The car computer has a basic imput/output system, remembers driving habits and detect problems which stores info on it as well as freeze frame data for someone like me to read it with a scanner. I know that these computers have no hard drive so why can't a regular personal computer have this as well?

Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Kendrick" <nbs@sonic.net>
To: "LUGOD" <vox@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:45 AM
Subject: [vox] Why Linux FS doesn't need defragmenting

A friend of mine asked me about defragmenting Linux drives, and I never
had a good idea as to why you didn't really need to.

Well, he found this page, and just shared it with me :^)

http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php/2006/08/17/why_doesn_t_linux_need_defragmenting

Enjoy!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/