2006 Aug 12 11:44

Re: [vox] gcc using smp

Scott Miller wrote:
I'm fairly new to Ubuntu. But is there a place to set gcc to use both
CPUs? I know in gentoo it's in /etc/make.conf but ubuntu doesn't have
one of those.
I don't know about ubuntu specifically, but in general there are two things you can do.

If you run gcc with the -pipe option, then it will try to run its subprocesses in parallel connected by pipes. Otherwise it'll run them one at a time using temporary files. This only helps compilation, not linking.

If you run make with its -j option, then make will build multiple targets in parallel when it can. For example, if make needs to recompile several files, then "make -j 3" would run three copies of the compiler at a time.