January 6: Social gathering
2006 Jul 23 12:15

Re: [vox] Re: vim word completion

On Sat 22 Jul 06, 10:10 PM, Norm Matloff <matloff@cs.ucdavis.edu> said:

>> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 09:47:41PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
>>> has anyone else noticed the new vim enhancement when you do ctrl-p or ctrl-n
>>> word completion?  wow!!!!
>
> Well, clearly I mis-parsed Pete's comment here.  Sorry.
>
> But I still don't get it.  I just installed v.7.0 to see what the fuss
> is all about.  In insert mode in a .c file, I type "in" and then ctrl-n.
> I got a list of 81 choices for completion!  This is progress?
>
> Norm

Absolutely!  It works the same as it always did.  You can use ^p and ^n to
scroll through the various word choices, like you've always been able to do.
It's no different in that regard.

Except here, you now know how "far" you are in the choice list to the word
you want to complete.  It gives you the opportunity to type another letter
in case the word you want is very far away, which you wouldn't be able to do
without the text menu widget.  Or else if you're close to word, just go
ahead and hit ^n a few more times.

Definitely progress.  If you have 81 choices, you'd still have 81 choices
before the menu widget.

Pete

complicated.   The mind of God appears to be abstract but not complicated.
He also appears to like group theory.  ---  Tony Zee's  "Fearful Symmetry"

email: p@dirac.org                      web: http://www.dirac.org/p