2006 Jun 24 11:23

[vox] [fwd] What converting to Linux can do for a school

Woot! :)

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Daniel Howard -----

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:42:18 -0400
From: Daniel Howard
Subject: [school-discuss] What converting to Linux can do for a school

Today, in our local paper, the Atlanta Journal Constitution, it was
reported that Brandon Elementary scored top in the District of Atlanta
Public Schools and third in the state on the standardized tests used
here in Georgia.  This is the school where William Fragakis and I
converted all the old, nonfunctioning PCs into Linux thin clients
running K12LTSP, got over 100 donated PCs from businesses, and bought
over 60 new NTAVO thin clients at $99 each and ended up more than
tripling the number of working PCs in each classroom.

Scores were up across the board, and math scores, in particular were up
sharply this year.  All of the teachers have told us how much having all
the Linux PCs have improved things, but this is the first hard evidence.
 Not that I'm a complete fan of all the testing that goes on here
lately, but test results are paid attention to by decision makers, many
of the ones we want to convince of the benefits of open source software
and thin client architectures.

Thanks to the group for all the support!  Daniel

----- End forwarded message -----