2006 May 23 18:02

Re: [vox] Debian + KDE vs. Kubuntu

On Tue 23 May 06,  3:57 PM, Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name> said:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 02:39:09PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 May 2006 11:27, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > > It's finally happened.  I've bought a copy of Windows XP and will be
> > > installing it on my *sigh* home PC at some point soon.
> >
> > Like Micah, I'm curious why you'd do  that.  Is it games, or work related
> > stuff?  If it wasn't for work I would get rid of my Windows 98.
>
> For my part, I almost never have to use Windows for anything other than
> games. I have far too many games that wouldn't run with wine, and that I
> simply can't live without.

Micah, JOOC, what games do you play that don't run on Wine?

The only game I absolutely love that doesn't in LucasArts' Outlaws.  When I
first started to use Wine, Outlaws didn't even try to run.

A few years after that, I tried again.  Outlaws would give me the startup
screen and main menus, but the game itself would crash.

Tried again about 3 years ago.  The game ran, but keyboard and mouse issues
made it unplayable.

I should try again...  :)

> It's also nice to be able to access the latest proprietary Windows video
> codecs on occaisions, when I want to watch a movie trailer or something;
> but I wouldn't keep Windows around just for /that/.

Crossover?

Pete