2006 May 23 16:05

Re: [vox] Debian + KDE vs. Kubuntu

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 02:39:09PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 May 2006 11:27, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > It's finally happened.  I've bought a copy of Windows XP and will be
> > installing it on my *sigh* home PC at some point soon.
>
> Like Micah, I'm curious why you'd do  that.  Is it games, or work related
> stuff?  If it wasn't for work I would get rid of my Windows 98.

For my part, I almost never have to use Windows for anything other than
games. I have far too many games that wouldn't run with wine, and that I
simply can't live without.

It's also nice to be able to access the latest proprietary Windows video
codecs on occaisions, when I want to watch a movie trailer or something;
but I wouldn't keep Windows around just for /that/.

BTW, Bill: GRUB rocks. I've got Windows on a totally separate harddrive
from my Ubuntu system, which is on the primary (along with GRUB). Of
course, Windows wants to be on the primary, but with GRUB it's /soooo/
easy to simply swap the notions of "primary" and "secondary".... :-)

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/