January 6: Social gathering
2006 May 22 12:05

Re: [vox] mutt macros for bogofilter

On Fri 19 May 06, 10:19 AM, Eric Engelhard <eric@mail.cvbig.org> said:
> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:02:55PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > also have some for spamcop too.
> >

> > fcc-hook 'submit.foo@spam.spamcop.net' /dev/null
> > # Set varioius things in messages that go to spamcop.
> > send-hook 'submit.foo@spam.spamcop.net' \
> > 	'set pgp_autosign=no ; set mime_forward ; set editor=/bin/true ; push y'
> > # Pressing ctl-f sends the email to spamcop in pager and index mode.
> > macro pager F "<display-toggle-weed><forward-message>submit.foo@spam.spamcop.net\n<exit>"
> > macro index F "<display-toggle-weed><forward-message>submit.foo@spam.spamcop.net\n<exit>"
> >
> > those were hard to get right.
>
> I've not used spamcop, but I like the idea of reporting and having an
> (potential) impact on the source. Thanks, I'll try it.

Occasionally I'll get a reply from an ISP or IP reseller apologizing and
telling me the sh!thead's account has been deleted.  That right there is
such a gratifying feeling, I can't even begin to describe it.  It literally
makes me day.  :-)

But I also have to say -- I can't prove this because I don't have the time
to do a study any longer, but I swear that when I faithfully report spam to
spamcop, my overall spam level goes down, at least temporarily.

The obvious hypothesis is that accounts keep spamming me until the account
gets complained about and dies.  Or perhaps my email address gets taken off
of some lists as being a "troublemaker" recipient.

In any event, I really do think my spam levels go down for awhile after
faithfully reporting spam to spamcop for a while.  After a month or so of
not using spamcop, they seem to go back up.

Pete