2006 May 19 10:36

Re: [vox] mutt macros for bogofilter

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:02:55PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 18 May 06,  2:53 PM, Eric Engelhard <eric@mail.cvbig.org> said:
> > This may be very old news for many, but I just found the Linux Journal article
> > "Busting Spam with Bogofilter, Procmail and Mutt" by Nick Moffit at
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6439 with an update at
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7436. The mutt macros make it very easy
> > to add mail to the bogofilter spam list. I've been running the set up for
> > three days and a recent rash of spam has slowed to a trickle and my spam
> > folder is collecting "trophies".
> >
> > Has anyone been running this set up?
> >
> > Eric Engelhard
>
> i'll take a look.  always interested in seeing what other mutt users do.
> here's a couple of pretty plain-jane macros i wrote a long time ago:
>
> macro pager S "<pipe-entry>bogofilter -s\n"
> macro index S "<pipe-entry>bogofilter -s\n"
> macro pager N "<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n"
> macro index N "<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n"
>
> so an email is "s"pam, unless it's "n"ot spam.   ;-)

Moffit's macros are similar except that he links normal saving and replying
keys to the not spam collection. "X" is the only new key, which deletes a
message and adds it to the spam collection.

> also have some for spamcop too.
>

> fcc-hook 'submit.foo@spam.spamcop.net' /dev/null
> # Set varioius things in messages that go to spamcop.
> send-hook 'submit.foo@spam.spamcop.net' \
> 	'set pgp_autosign=no ; set mime_forward ; set editor=/bin/true ; push y'
> # Pressing ctl-f sends the email to spamcop in pager and index mode.
> macro pager F "<display-toggle-weed><forward-message>submit.foo@spam.spamcop.net\n<exit>"
> macro index F "<display-toggle-weed><forward-message>submit.foo@spam.spamcop.net\n<exit>"
>
> those were hard to get right.

I've not used spamcop, but I like the idea of reporting and having an
(potential) impact on the source. Thanks, I'll try it.