January 6: Social gathering
2006 Mar 19 14:41

[vox] Running Debian on a Laptop

I recently subscribed to the Debian-laptop list, and I see that some people
are having a hard time getting Debian to run on laptops.  Those who have
older kernels especially have problems.  And it looks like solving those
problems sometimes requires recompiling a kernel.

So I was curious about a couple of things.

1)  Are there any Debian fans on this list who have given up trying to install
Debian on a laptop, and have instead installed a commercial distro with more
drivers?

2)  Are there laptop brands that are better for Linux and Debian?

I've read that the IBM Thinkpad was good for Linux, but some people claim that
this in part had to do with IBM trying to develop its server business.  The
concern is that Lenovo might not be as motivated to make the Thinkpad Linux
compatible.

Bob