2006 Mar 11 11:51

Re: [vox] a dual-boot system?

Cylar Z wrote:
<snip>
Most likely I would accomplish this by converting his
computer to a dual-boot system, offering the option of
either Windows XP or Fedora Core 4 w/ GNOME.

At this point, let me say that I am already aware of
Linux's superiority to Windows in terms of stability
and vulnerability to security exploits.

My hesistation to implement Linux stems from two
potential problem areas:

1. I'm concerned about how smoothly an inexperienced
user such as my dad will make the transition from
Windows to a Linux-based GUI such as GNOME.

2. I'm concerned that the devices attached to the
system (digital camera, CD burner, printer/scanner/fax
unit) may not function properly under a Linux OS.  I
would imagine that many people can and do use a Linux
workstation with these devices, and that it's mostly a
question of finding the correct drivers. It seems,
however, that most manufacturers' driver download
pages don't include drivers for Linux OS's, only
Windows and sometimes Mac.

Open query: Is Fedora Core the best choice of the
available Linux distros given the background I've laid
out?

I wanted to use a dual-boot system because of #2, and
because I've recently learned to set one up. I figured
in a worse-case scenario, my father could use Linux
for day-to-day websurfing (he uses DSL), then reboot
into Windows for the infrequent occasions that he
wants to hook up his camera or print something.

As a third potential problem area, I'm only a novice
Linux user myself. I'm taking night classes on the
subject and reading books to try and improve my skill,
but at this time I'm going to have trouble fixing any
technical issues that arise from the use of Linux,
having been a Windows user for years before beginning
to dabble with Linux.

<snip>
There has been a bunch of good advice already, but I didn't see anyone comment on the dual-boot issue. I find dual-boot setups to work well enough; just make sure you set aside a large FAT32 partition for data to be accessed from both Windows and Linux. Also, the easiest way to proceed is to install windows first, and then whichever linux distribution you are most comfortable with. Personally, I am a KDE user, which I find much more analogous to windows than GNOME. Fedora has all of KDE; you just have to choose to install those packages.

Jonathan