2006 Feb 17 19:47

Re: [vox] Why Ubuntu, Kubuntu?

Mark Shuttleworth, the founder of Ubuntu (he initially donated like 10 million to get it started) is working hard to bring Open Source in Africa (I believe he is South African).  He has helped get Africaans and Xhosa translated for linux...  A rich bastard, but he spreads his wealth and seems to work hard to make a difference.  http://www.markshuttleworth.com/

On 2/17/06, David Hummel < dhml@comcast.net> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:58:21AM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:

> I've noticed from reading Distro Watch, and reading the LUGOD lists
> that Ubuntu and Kubuntu are very popular.  I understand these to be
> Debian offshoots.  Why are these so popular?

Ease of installation primarily (the install kernel configuration seems
to work on a wide variety of hardware).  And access to more recent
versions of software through the universe and multiverse repositories.