2006 Feb 08 04:27

Re: [vox] Consulting Fee?

$20 per hour at 40 hours per week 50 weeks per
year is $40K.
$50 figures similarly at $100K.

Practically nobody works 40 hours per week 50
weeks per year. Industry statistics estimate about
60% of each employee's week's hours are filled
with actual work.

   For contractors, there's the issue of downtime--
time spent looking for the next contract, time
spent doing one's taxes and setting up office
stuff and files, time researching and skill-building....
   A contractor who charges $20 per hour will be
lucky to make $20K for the year, thanks to the
downtime that accompanies the work.

   I'd love to know what people charge. I've seen
ridiculously low rates proposed on Craigslist. I
hope the general population is willing to pay
enough for a reasonable livelihood. What would
you pay someone else to help you?