2006 Feb 03 04:09

Re: [vox] SuSE Bloat

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 01:23:21PM -0800, jim stockford wrote:

>    if you strip out a lot of what SUSE provides out of
> the can, what's the point of using SUSE? This is a
> question unless there's no good answer.

As someone else mentioned, I guess hardware-detection, possibly support
and documentation.  If you prefer their packaging system over others
(e.g., those based on Debian's "dpkg"), or whatever proprietary bits SUSE
comes with, those would be good reasons, I suppose.

I bougth a copy of Mandrake once upon a time, since it was the only way
to (easily) get a copy of The Sims for my wife.  I ran "alien" to convert it
from Mandrake RPMs to Debian DEBs.  It tooks a TON of disk space to do the
conversion (since it expanded everything out and then repackaged it), but
it seemed to work great!

Never installed the Mandrake discs or anything, since we're both happy with
Debian.  (Though after playing with Kubuntu live CD, I've been eyeing that)