2006 Jan 31 13:50

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Feb 1st Meeting: XML11: Abstract WindowingProtocol for creating AJAX applications [Mountain View]

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this Wednesday
in Mountain View, CA (near San Jose):

WHEN:

  Wednesday, February 1, 2006
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    XML11 - An Abstract Windowing Protocol for creating AJAX applications

  PRESENTED BY:
    Arno Puder, San Francisco State University

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    This presentation introduces XML11, an abstract windowing protocol
    inspired by the X11-protocol develop by MIT.  XML11 is an
    XML-based protocol that allows asynchronous UI updates of widgets
    to an end-device.  To overcome high-latency connections, XML11
    allows migration of application logic to the end-device.
    The prototype implementation of XML11 runs in any standard web browser
    without Java capabilities on the client-side and replaces AWT/Swing on
    the server-side.  This also allows us to expose legacy AWT/Swing
    applications as web applications.

    Ultimately XML11 can be used for writing AJAX (Asynchronous
    JavaScript and XML) applications without requiring any JavaScript
    knowledge.  The prototype implementation of XML11 is released
    under the GPL and available at www.xml11.org

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Arno Puder received his masters and Ph.D. in computer science and is
    currently working as an Assistant Professor at San Francisco State
    University.  He is one of the founders of the MICO CORBA implementation.
    His special interests include distributed systems, middleware
    architectures and ubiquitous computing environments.

OTHER BUSINESS:

  This month's Nifty will be replaced by a prize give-away and some important
  SVLUG business.

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.shtml

  webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

--
Bill Kendrick