2006 Jan 22 22:46

Re: [vox] Windows really DOES suck! (Or maybe it's HP...)

Re: [vox] Windows really DOES suck! (Or maybe it's HP...)

Richard Crawford wrote:

So, my server talks to the printer just fine, as does my Kubuntu desktop and my Kubuntu laptop. No additional configuration is necessary on any of these machines.

On Windows, though, it's an entirely different story.

I'm pondering returning the machine at this point. Anyone aware of any solutions to my dilemma?

I, of course, have no solution. But seeing as how you've posted to Vox instead of Vox-Tech, I feel justified in telling my story. A year or so ago I bought an HP Laserjet 1320. I installed the software that came with it. The thing has worked flawlessly in Linux, but I had all kinds of trouble in Windows. While these problems are irritating, the stories are great. It used to be that things worked in Windows but not in Linux.

Anyway, HP support said that they thought that the Windows software was designed for my printer to be hooked up as a USB deviice, when I had it hooked up to the parallel port. So they told me to get rid of the software. I did. Now the printer works very quickly and flawlessly in Linux still, and while it does work in Windows it takes a long time for the print jobs to start. I'm starting to think that HP products might be more compatible with Linux than Windows these days.

Bob