Re: [vox] Another way to hose a system

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> apt-get remove bdb (or whatever for the Berkeley DB)
>
> ...and watch as the system removes everything related to KDE and
> even tries to mess over the kernel. It's obviously not as bad as #
> rm -rf /*, but it's pretty messy.

$ apt-get remove libdb4.3
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  adduser alien alsa-utils apache apache-common apache2-common apache2-utils
  apt-file apt-rdepends apt-utils archivemail aspell aspell-en autoconf

[...]

  x-ttcidfont-conf xbase-clients xdm xkbsel xml-core xpdf xpdf-reader
  xscreensaver xterm yada zenity
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  login libpam-modules (due to login)
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 513 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 1178MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]

Now, how you can do that without noticing that 513 packages are going
to be removed is a bit beyond me... [ignoring for now the "Yes, do as
I say!"]

Don Armstrong

--
What I can't stand is the feeling that my brain is leaving me for
someone more interesting.