2005 Nov 22 11:43

Re: [vox] A Criticism of Debian Testing

You really shouldn't have to remove any currently
installed packages when you install any new packages
from an apt-get update - hence your missing package
shouldn't  ever go missing, really, unless when you
are trying to install a new application and apt-get
needed to remove your current application.  This way
you still get the latest cutting edge applications
without losing current packages.  I personally never
do an apt-get upgrade because the one time I did gnome
got totally messed up - and my brother put icewm in
and ugghhhh it was an even bigger mess (mainly because
I don't like icewm).  Ended up redoing the upgrade
because the whole thing was unsalvagable.

If you do ever have a missing package in Debian you
can probably find what they call a backport for the
package you're looking for - which is basically an
older version of an application.

As far as Ubuntu is concerned, I have actually heard
that it's Testing distribution's applications are more
stable than Debian's - anyone else heard this?