2005 Nov 15 12:19

Re: [vox] Open Source and Privacy

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:38:00 +0000, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> Winamp doesn't
> seem so bad, and Real Player probably isn't all that bad, but
> somehow I feel safer with open source software that doesn't want to
> track me.

I've got an older copy of Winamp (2.76) that fills my modest needs and
doesn't do tracking (I believe it's the last version that is true of).
You're welcome to a copy, contact me offlist.

I know it's not open source, but it's an option.

(Does she have a software firewall installed? Sygate or ZoneAlarm
should block any nefarious attempts to contact the outside world
without permission. I prefer Sygate myself
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm but some people swear by ZA
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp and Sygate has just
been bought by Symantec. Who knows how long before they kill the
product in favour of their own?)