2005 Nov 14 11:24

[vox] Open Source and Privacy

I really like listening to streaming classical music on XMMS.  My wife wants
me to set something up for her on Windows98.  So I'm looking at Real Player
and Winamp.

I have always read the licensing agreements.  And it sure takes a long time to
read these things on proprietary software.  On this project I've also been
reading the privacy statements of Real Player and Winamp.  Winamp doesn't
seem so bad, and Real Player probably isn't all that bad, but somehow I feel
safer with open source software that doesn't want to track me.

Maybe I'm deluded.  But while I originally became a Linux user as a moral and
political rejection of Microsoft's tactics, I have over time become more
dedicated to open source in general because of privacy issues.

Bob