2005 Nov 15 12:02

Re: [vox] [fwd] Computers for Hurricane Katrina update

Dave and Bill:

I am also intrigued by DSL, having tried it myself once.  Is there a way we could modify it to include Open Office and Sound MultiMedia?  Right now I want to emulate your basic DHCP Winders XP home or 200 PC with that we do. Each machine is locked at user level but would have Root enabled with the CRRS lead person hold the password. I understand the first 50 computers arrive at the Bargain Barn today or tomorrow.

The Air Force guy said his request has cleared local chain of command and is at the upper levels of command now for review (I'd assume DC).  Keep your fingers crossed.

BEN

Bill Kendrick wrote:
----- Forwarded message from dmezee <djdavemezee@earthlink.net> -----

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 16:25:08 -0500
From: dmezee <djdavemezee@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [PenLUG] [fwd] Computers for Hurricane Katrina update
To: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
Cc: penlug-members@penlug.org

I know I'm a little late responding but....

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org
very small complete live-cd distribution (50mb) with extremely minimal hardware requirements. I've been using this for a couple years. It works on every old, dusty, out of date computer that is able to boot from CD that I have tried. Even as minimal as P1 (99mhz) 64mb RAM. Firefox is included in the base iso (although runs pretty slow on a 99mhz).

http://kioskcd.com/
Although I have not tried, it's what its name implies. An internet kiosk (Firefox I believe).

Hope I'm not too late :)

Dave

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:05:02 -0700