2005 Nov 03 09:10

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Nov 2nd meeting: "The Sync4j Project" [MountainView]

FYI--

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets tomorrow in Mountain View:

WHEN:

  Wednesday, November 2, 2005
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    Sync4j

  SPEAKER:
    Fabrizio Capobianco, Funambol

  BACKGROUND:
    The Sync4j Project is an open source initiative to deliver a
    complete mobile application platform implementing the SyncML
    protocol.  SyncML defines a standard way to synchronize data and
    remotely manage devices.  Sync4j has more then 10,000 downloads per
    month (as of March 2005).

  ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
    Fabrizio Capobianco is CEO of Funambol, the company behind Sync4j.
    Prior to getting involved in open source, he founded two startups
    (the first Web company in Italy, back in 1995).  At the end of 1999,
    Fabrizio moved to Silicon Valley, where he started working for
    Tibco Finance, as Director of Brokerage Systems.  Since 2000,
    Fabrizio has had a monthly column in the magazine Wireless.
    He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science.

NIFTY OF THE MONTH:

  Chris Verges will discuss his expedition to help restore communications
  infrastructure in Louisiana and Mississippi following Hurricane Katrina.

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.shtml

  webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

--
Bill Kendrick