2005 Oct 26 17:29

Re: [vox] Public Access Terminals

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 12:42:16PM -0700, KDRT 101.5 FM wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I'm going to upgrade the PA terminal at the Coop soon.  I'm moving to
> using the boothbox livecd (http://boothbox.sourceforge.net/).  Depending
> on how well the CD works we can plan on a big push for more terminals
> around town.  Would be nice to standarize it all.
>
> Any feedback, ideas?  I'm trying to get dcn to setup a homepage for the
> pa terminals.
>
> Any word of the state of other pa terminals?  I can't remember who takes
> care of the newsbeat one but do you want to move that to the new livecd?

I set up the Newsbeat one, long ago.  (It's Debian + Konqueror + IceWM,
if I recall correctly, using the KDE kiosk framework, IceWM settings,
and file permisisons to keep it secure.  Hopefully, it worked ;^) )

I've since moved from Davis, and while I'm subscribed to the kde-kiosk
mailing list, I haven't actually _set up_ a kiosk in a long time.

So, if the boothbox livecd works well, I say: go for it!  The Newsbeat
one is no doubt _quite_ out of date.

The other kiosk I set up was similar to Newsbeats, and was for
Chamonix Coffee.  When they changed ownership, the box vanished, though. :^/
*sigh*

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/