2005 Oct 24 10:38

[vox] [fwd] Re: Computers for Hurricane Katrina update?

Ben writes to me:

> I am looking to have some "put it together event" as soon as the last 40
> CPU's get to the bargain barn.  It will take two days to process them
> and then we can get them together.   I use Knoppix a lot to rescue
> crashed disks.  Charles McLaughlin suggested we build a custom CD with
> the following:  I've added some of my own as well.
>
> Drivers - lots of em.  These are likely all Dells or Gateways but we'd
> need to get the drivers included ahead of time when making the CD.
>
> KDE or GNOME.  Whichever can be locked don to give the user a
> windows-like experience.  This means editing a lot of things I am not
> comfortable editing which is where I need the help of the LUG's .
>
> Enable root account with one standard password for all systems.
>
> On the desktop I need:
> Open Office
> PDF maker (or Equiv.)
> Firefox
> Thunderbird (both with user configuration privileges)
> Linux equivs for putty and winscp
> Some type of simple media player
> Some type of simple disk burning software.
>
> Network:
> simple dhcp.
> shortcut to network connection setup panel quickly accessible to user.
>
> Self-mounting or inserted floppies and memory stick and eject without
> restarting.
>
> I can't think of  much else but it's Monday!

I recommended KDE for a locked-down UI, but KDE's kiosk framework doesn't
take care of OpenOffice.org, Firefox or Thunderbird.

Firefox has a 'kiosk'-like lock-down setup, but I'm not familiar with it.
No idea about Thunderbird.

Of course, just HOW locked down the system should be is the other question.
"Don't even let them move an icon on the desktop?"  Or will the system
simply reset itself after each person uses it...?

I think Ben's subscribed to vox, so feel free to respond here.  THx!