2005 Oct 21 19:37

[vox] Wireless antenna for 1-block radius

[vox] Wireless antenna for 1-block radius

One of the big reasons I've wanted a laptop for a while is so that I
could get wifi in the sukkah[1] during sukkot[1].

Now that it's sukkot, I've been working in the sukkah with my laptop,
and I find that the wi-fi from my apartment doesn't even reach a half
a block to where I'm working.

So I'd like to work out how to extend the wifi provided by my
BEFW11S4, so that it has a radius of about a block. (In chicago, there
are 4 blocks to 1/2 mile).

Any ideas? What kind of antenna should I be looking for. I'd like to
do this pretty cheaply if possible.

--Ken Bloom

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukkot