2005 Sep 01 12:55

Re: [vox] Switching from Microsoft to Linux

Re: [vox] Switching from Microsoft to Linux

I should have mentioned that Wayne is not on our vox list. Please cc helpful response to Wayne.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Richard Mancusi wrote:
I saw this on another list. It doesn't exactly answer the original
question - but it doesn't hurt either.

Here is a quote from the Financial Times:

"Massachusetts set to switch off Microsoft
By Richard Waters in San Francisco
Published: September 1 2005 00:01 | Last updated: September 1 2005 01:58

MicrosoftThe state of Massachusetts has laid out a plan to switch all
its workers away from Microsoft
< http://mwprices.ft.com/custom/ft-com/quotechartnews.asp?FTSite=FTCOM&q=MSFT&searchtype&expanded=&countrycode=us&s2=us&symb=MSFT&company=NEW <http://mwprices.ft.com/custom/ft-com/quotechartnews.asp?FTSite=FTCOM&q=MSFT&searchtype&expanded=&countrycode=us&s2=us&symb=MSFT&company=NEW>>'s
Word, Excel and other desktop software applications, delivering what
would be one of the most significant setbacks to the software company's
battle against open source software in its home market.

The state said on Wednesday that all electronic documents "created and
saved" by state employees would have to be based on open formats, with
the switch to start at the beginning of 2007."

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/80033a76-1a71-11da-b7f5-00000e2511c8.html