January 6: Social gathering
2005 Aug 31 18:38

Re: [vox] Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

Re: [vox] Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

Steve Hargadon wrote:
I can set up a website that gives instructions to turn an old P2
computer, 128mb of ram, a nic card, and a working CD into a Firefox
browser kiosk.  Only needs to have a network connection.  Runs like a
champ.  No maintenance.  Nice and zippy.  No OS or licensing issues.

We could help people set up hundreds / thousands of internet
communication computers/centers where people are most likely to want
access to the web and email.  Just need volunteers to set up the
networking, and organizations that will host the connection sites.
Well, the Houston Astrodome is being turned into a refugee center. Right now everyone from the Superdome (25,000 people) are being taken to Houston, and the Astrodome's calendar has been cleared through the end of the year. It would probably be a good focus for such an effort.

You might try to find some Houston-area LUGs interested in getting involved. It seems to me though that information on how to set up a kiosk is the least of what you'd need. The actual computers, willing volunteers, access to the site (aka credibility with relief organizations), and communications access to the Internet would all be necessary.