2005 Aug 31 22:11

[vox] Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

[vox] Wildfire Idea to Help Katrina Victims

I can set up a website that gives instructions to turn an old P2
computer, 128mb of ram, a nic card, and a working CD into a Firefox
browser kiosk.  Only needs to have a network connection.  Runs like a
champ.  No maintenance.  Nice and zippy.  No OS or licensing issues.

We could help people set up hundreds / thousands of internet
communication computers/centers where people are most likely to want
access to the web and email.  Just need volunteers to set up the
networking, and organizations that will host the connection sites.

We could have instructions, downloadable files, and everything set up
in less than a day.  Then we just have to get the word out.  Could the
LUGs play a huge role in this?  I think so.  Would be a great way to
contribute, and a great shot in the arm for Linux.

Anybody got any ideas?  How could we make this happen big and fast?

Steve
--
Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct