2005 Aug 27 20:06

Re: [vox] Re: Laptop recommendations -- my final decision

Re: [vox] Re: Laptop recommendations -- my final decision

[plug]
any of you guys who need warranty repairs on your hp
and compaq desktops and laptops, give me a ring. We
handle that now!
[/plug]

They are decent machines. Linux runs pretty well
although the reflective widescreens are kind of
anoying

--- Don Werve <donw@agentsix.net> wrote:

> Ken Bloom wrote:
> > In the end I got a compaq presario v2310us, based
> on the AMD Turion64
> > chip. I got it at CompUSA for about $850 after
> rebates, which seems
> > like an amazing deal for an AMD64. )ne of the
> rebates, a $150 rebate
> > only lasted 6 days, ending today, and apparently
> this was so popular
> > there were no more left in the 4 nearest stores to
> me. So I bought the
> > display model.
>
> Work got one of these for me a few months ago; if
> you're happy with the
> physical configuration (I hate the widescreen
> layout, and the keyboard
> isn't as nice as the ThinkPad), it's not a bad
> machine, and they
> certainly are cheap.
>
> You'll need 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios' to get suspend
> working, and ndiswrapper
> for the BroadCom internal network card -- if anyone
> knows of a native
> driver, I'm all ears.  With powernowd, I get about
> six hours on the
> extended battery, two and a half on the standard
> one, and mine is the
> shitty CPU (Celeron).
>
> --
> Don Werve (Unix Sys Admin) | Email: donw AT agentsix
> DOT net
>
> "Whatever you think you can do or believe you can
> do, begin it.  Action
> has magic, grace and power in it." -- Goethe

Hans W. Uhlig
Mobile Field Technician
Staples Inc.