2005 Aug 27 20:06

Re: [vox] Re: Laptop recommendations -- my final decision

Re: [vox] Re: Laptop recommendations -- my final decision

Ken Bloom wrote:
In the end I got a compaq presario v2310us, based on the AMD Turion64
chip. I got it at CompUSA for about $850 after rebates, which seems
like an amazing deal for an AMD64. )ne of the rebates, a $150 rebate
only lasted 6 days, ending today, and apparently this was so popular
there were no more left in the 4 nearest stores to me. So I bought the
display model.
Work got one of these for me a few months ago; if you're happy with the physical configuration (I hate the widescreen layout, and the keyboard isn't as nice as the ThinkPad), it's not a bad machine, and they certainly are cheap.

You'll need 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios' to get suspend working, and ndiswrapper for the BroadCom internal network card -- if anyone knows of a native driver, I'm all ears. With powernowd, I get about six hours on the extended battery, two and a half on the standard one, and mine is the shitty CPU (Celeron).

--
Don Werve (Unix Sys Admin) | Email: donw AT agentsix DOT net

"Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action
has magic, grace and power in it." -- Goethe