2005 Aug 22 10:21

Re: [vox] [OT] WinXP applications spamming me

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:08:47 -0700, bullring@gmail.com wrote:
> I use Windows Xp for school and have found the best Antivirus
> program is AntivirXP http://www.free-av.com/
> it works on Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/Solaris Windows 98/Me/2000/NT/XP.
>  It has helped me numerous occasions.

AntiVir is OK, but when I used it, it continually had problems
updating. It also tended to schedule updates about once/week. It
didn't scan incoming email on the fly.

All those features may be different now, or in the paid-for version.

AVG 6 was pretty good, AVG 7 gave me a lot of problems.

I use Avast! nowadays. Along with the usual file and memory protection
it scans e-mail, web, p2p, IM, and network, though I'm not sure of all
the details of some of those, but they're all configurable to some
degree. At least enough to shut off whatever component you don't want.
It also updates frequently. I remember one day it updated at least 3
times. The following day I read in The Register about how the day
before had really bad day for viruses, which explained the excessive
number of updates, and left me feeling good about Avast!.

And that's the free version.

MHO. YMMV.