2005 Aug 19 15:56

Re: [vox] Linux(R) Users' Group of Davis

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 14:21, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 02:17:37PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > From what I read of the LMI website back in July, and the response I
> > received from one of their paralegals when I inquired, LUGs such as
> > our's should be fine [*]:
> >
> <snip>
> >   A: They are supposed to call themselves Linux User Groups.
> >
> >     A Linux User Group is not
> >     - a brand name
> >     - a product name
> >     - a service name
> <snip>
>
> I forgot about [*] I put up there. :^)  I wanted to mention LERT
> (Linux Emergency Relief Team), which MIGHT actually be an issue.
>
> It might be good to rename it LERT where L == "Linux Users' Group of Davis"
> (rather than simply "Linux"). :^)

I know you're being facetious, but this is both true and sad. I don't
understand why Linus is so paranoid regarding his Linux trademark.
As I understand his restriction, you can't use "Linux" if you're
describing a commercial product or service, like "Linux of Davis."
If someone wanted to create this company, Linus feels that this
person is claiming to be the authoritative Linux provider in
Davis.

However, this restriction on descriptive commercial uses is preventing
"Linux" from appearing in the Yellow Pages and other commercials,
thereby hindering its exposure.