2005 Aug 19 14:21

[vox] Linux(R) Users' Group of Davis

In case anyone is worried due to all of the noise, FUD and confusion
over the Linux Mark stuff that's been all over the news, here are
some comments from the huge thread over on Groklaw.net.

>From what I read of the LMI website back in July, and the response I
received from one of their paralegals when I inquired, LUGs such as
our's should be fine [*]:

  Q: What about Linux Users Groups? What are they supposed to call
     themselves now?

  A: They are supposed to call themselves Linux User Groups.

    A Linux User Group is not
    - a brand name
    - a product name
    - a service name

    Therefore, they are not using Linux as a trademark.

And another comment:

  I can't help but wonder exactly what 'product' a LUG is, or might
  be, producing that would require a licence to use the Linux trademark.

And another:

  And what about a users group?  Linux is a trademark that describes a
  particular operating system.  A users group is not the basis for the
  Linux trademark.

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/