2005 Jul 19 21:38

Re: [vox] Local Linux-oriented PC recycling efforts?

Re: [vox] Local Linux-oriented PC recycling efforts?

Karsten M. Self wrote:
The New York Times ran an article by Matt Richtel and John Markoff on
the 17th about PC users driven to frustration to the point of discarding
virtually brand new and perfectly serviceable hardware in an attempt to
rid themselves of viruses, spyware, and other malware.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/technology/17spy.html?ei=5094&en=178b2edcf06c6a45&hp=&ex=1121572800&pagewanted=print

This is one of a few similar spyware / malware articles the Times has
run in the past year.  I was quoted in an earlier piece running 19
September, 2004.  I responded to that article with a longer technical
piece, and am extending this to address Richtell & Markoff's article, to
be posted shortly at:

    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Rants/spyware.html

I find the latest piece markedly pathetic on a number of points:

  - It fails to point out that the problems are almost wholly specific
    to Microsoft operating systems and products (mailers, browsers).

  - It implies a grossly overstated cost of Apple alternatives.  Sure, a
    high-end laptop might run $3000, but the Mac Mini is available for
    $500 or less, and used Mac hardware on Craigslist runs in the
    $100-$400 range.

  - It utterly ignores GNU/Linux.  With the most recent Ubuntu
    offerings, I'd say the feasibility of GNU/Linux is at least on par
    with legacy MS Windows, if not significantly better.  Issues, yes,
    but of an entirely different stripe.

  - It *completely* misses the mark, in that Microsoft's ubiquitous,
    deep, and pervasive security problems are well known, widely
    understood by those familiar with technology, and are not in the
    least addressed by discarding perfectly usable hardware.

Moreover:  there are numerous organizations and causes which could very
much make use of this hardware.

I'm aware of several PC recycling efforts around the Bay Area, though
most seem oriented to legacy MS Windows-based rebuilds.  For anyone
aware of efforts geared at turning out GNU/Linux-based systems, please
post details here.

Peace.

Hello Everyone,

I would be very interested in starting a PC recycling program to help resolve this problem.  It would be great to start a recycling effort here in sacramento and use the computers to teach computer repair skills to the local community.  I have been gathering and giving away linux/opensource computers whenever possible for the last few years.  If anyone else is interested in starting something like this let me know.

Joshua Morris
bullring * gmail