2005 Jul 18 08:40

[vox] Help disassembling a laptop?

I've got an old Sony Vaio laptop which has a problem with overheating.  It's
out of warranty and has been replaced now by a much snazzier laptop, and I'd
like to put Ubuntu on this machine and turn it into a media center; however,
with the overheating, it shuts itself off after a few hours, and the fan is
very loud.

So, I'd like to take this thing apart and see if I can't clean out the guck
which I presume is clogging up the cooling fan (we have six cats in this
house, and we live in a heavy agricultural area, so I can only imagine the
amount of gunk that must pass through this thing).  I've removed all of the
components -- the battery, the CD/DVD player, the hard drive, etc. -- and
taken out all of the visible screws, but I still can't get into it.  I assume
I need some sort of special tool, or there is some special secret maneuver
that I need.

I've Googled until my eyes started to bleed, but I was unable to find any
instructions on-line for opening this laptop (it's a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV670P).
Anyone got any ideas or hints?  I'm comfortable opening my desktop and
messing around with its innards, but I've never worked inside a laptop
computer.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com