2005 Jul 06 23:26

latex presentations (Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?)

latex presentations (Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?)

After all this discussion about latex presentations, I'd like to point out the "Latex Beamer" package. Website and direct link to the user's guide are:

http://latex-beamer.sourceforge.net/
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf

About 2 years ago I did a serious survey for latex presentation packages. At the time, Prosper looked the most fancy but a headache to custom configure (note: I didn't really test it too thoroughly). I settled on the simple Foiltex. About a year ago I did another survey and discovered Beamer, which has come rather suddenly to the forefront of latex presentation packages. I honestly don't know how it compares to recent versions of Prosper, but those checking these out for the first time should seriously look at both. The user's guide itself is a beauty; it not only gives a thorough explanation of how to use the package, but it also gives very useful advice for slide preparation in general. Beamer supports animations and slide transitions, by the way.

Regards,
Jonathan