2005 Jul 06 15:00

Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 04:14:00PM -0400, David Hummel wrote:

> You can add Prosper to the list as one example of a Powerpoint
> replacement for creating presentations.

If Bill is going to compile this list, he should probably mention the
"why" part.

In the case of Prosper, I would say that the phrase "Powerpoint
replacement" is not doing it justice.  Again, if that were all that
mattered, one could simply use OpenOffice.  Instead, to me the point is
that Prosper (or other similar LaTeX packages) allows me to (more or
less) seamlessly convert what I have in document form to presentation
form.  This is especially important in that Powerpoint doesn't handle
math well at all.  Granted, the general public doesn't need this, but a
lot of people do.

Norm