2005 Jul 06 14:04

Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:37:44PM -0700, Norm Matloff wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:17:23PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>
> > There's a demo this Sunday at the Davis Food Co-Op, and I thought
> > it'd be neat to have a list of "things LUGOD members use Linux for"
> > available for when people ask.
>
> FWIW, I believe that such a list would be counterproductive for those
> of us (this possibly may not include some people reading this message)
> who would like to promote Linux as a general-purpose OS.  Such a list
> would imply (even with a disclaimer to the contrary) that Linux is
> only useful for special-purpose apps.

I would think that such a list actually is promoting Linux as a "general
purpose" OS, because it will illustrate that Linux and OSS can be used
for the same everyday tasks that most people use Windows and MS software
for.  The sooner people understand this, the less reluctant they will be
to embrace Linux as a viable alternative.

You can add Prosper to the list as one example of a Powerpoint
replacement for creating presentations.

-David