2005 Jul 06 12:34

Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:17:23PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> So, here's a very short survey...  What do YOU use Linux for?

So I'll start. :^)

* I run my webservers off Linux, hosting my software for Linux,
  personal home site, and a collection of interactive games.
  (Apache, PHP, miniscule amount of MySQL, CGIs written in C)
  These are hosted by my ISPs.

* On my desktop, my Linux box has become an 'ultimate communications tool',
  between web browsers (Konqueror and Mozilla (only for Google Maps)),
  chat clients (IRC and various IM protocols), news feeds (via Akregator),
  streaming radio, and weather reports/forecasts on my desktop.
  I admittedly SSH to my ISP's shell server and run Mutt for email and
  Tin for Usenet news.

* I also use my desktop for graphics (Gimp, a little Inkscape),
  games (Wesnoth, lately), file/photo management (Konqueror is brilliant!),
  and software development (games in C).

* My Zaurus PDA is getting more use these days.  I use it for games on-the-go,
  wireless networking at friends' houses or coffee shops (SSH, web, chat),
  and as my main PIM (address book, calendar, to-do list, shopping cart,
  password-keeper).

* TiVo controls the TV content in the house. :^)

bill@newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th