2005 May 31 14:09

Re: [vox] Linux-compatible MP3 player recommendations wanted!

Re: [vox] Linux-compatible MP3 player recommendations wanted!

I got myself a Creative MuVo back in November. It is a 1 GB flash device that can play mp3s, listen to the radio, and record (either from the radio or an external microphone) to mp3 format and runs off a single AAA battery. It is a very basic device in terms of the user interface, but connects nicely to the USB port on my computer. Linux has never had a problem with it. The other reason I got this one was the cost - just over $100 at Fry's. Hope this helps,

Jennifer

Bill Kendrick wrote:

The last time I had an MP3 player, it was an old RIO which I connected to
my Pentium I using a wacky parallel port connector.

These days, the kind of MP3 player I'd want for Linux would probably just
be a USB 'mass storage' device, and/or use a standard memory card, like
Compact Flash (CF) or Secure Digital (SD). (I have a reader for the former,
which I currently use to get photos out of my camera, and transfer files
quickly to/from my Zaurus.)

Has anyone out here got recommendations for such a beast? I haven't looked
at MP3 players in a while, and have no idea where to start. Would an
Apple iPod be usable without lots of crazy configuration and trickery?
(I have a feeling they're way more expensive than they're worth :^) )

What about those Zen things I've seen advertised and in store windows?

(This would be for on-the-go listening, BTW... not for any kind of in-home
use, as we've got Zaurus and laptops and desktops for that. :^) )

Thx!