2005 May 11 17:45

Re: [vox] News: Linspire and Micro Center Announce Expanded DesktopLinux Offerings In Response to Customer Demand

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:41:20PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 May 2005 04:21 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >   "The partnership follows recent market research reports that
> > predict revenues from desktop Linux PCs will grow to $10 billion by
> > 2008. In addition, internal surveys by Micro Center reveal that
> > more than 75 percent of its customers have an interest in running a
> > Linux-based operating system."
>
> 75 percent??  That would be astounding if true.

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Micro Center, so I'm not sure what
their 'average customer' would be, or where they got that 75% number from.
(Did they do a survey or poll?  Or simply take a note every time someone
asked about Linux.  Was it in the store?  On the phone?  Both?) :^)

> On the other hand, with McAffee and the like jumping in your
> face every time you boot up your new Windows PC, perhaps the
> mainstream is finally catching on that there oughta be a
> better way.

Indeed. :)  There definitely seems to be a general knowledge out there
these days that "there's an alternative called Linux".  In the few years
LUGOD's been around, the change has been noticable at Demos and events
like WEF.

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://newbreedsoftware.com/