2005 May 10 00:08

Re: [vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

on Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:47:10PM -0700, Richard Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com) wrote:
> On Sunday 08 May 2005 17:00, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > Heh, I've noticed a LOT of stuff in Gnome has become LESS configurable.
> > Gnome 1.x was decent, and I was kind of forced into it via RedHat's default
> > packages back in the ~6.0 days. ?2.0 has not impressed me at all. :^/
>
> When I first started using Linux regularly, I used the Gnome interface almost
> exclusively; I can't remember what it was about KDE that really annoyed me
> back then (it was 2001, I think), but I made the decision back then to stick
> with Gnome.

Heh.  When *I* first started using GNU/Linux, I was running fvwm.
Version 1, not 2....

Tried a few other WMs for a while, thought E had nice eye candy, both
GNOME and KDE seemed heavy, slow, and in the way in the early days.
Looked at the *boxes, and then I found WindowMaker.

I've been using it since ~1998/99, which means it's going on 6-7 years
now.  It's the longest I've used _any_ GUI interface, bar none.  Fits
like a glove.

> But yes, over the past few years, Gnome has grown less and less
> configurable;

http://www.linuxmafia.com/~karsten/gnome-is-fucked-seven-ways-from-sunday.txt

Amen.

> I don't like, for example, that you have to dig deep into the registry
> to turn off "spatial browsing"; this, apparently, is somehow a
> beneficial feature that you are supposed to really like once you get
> used to it; all I know is that it annoyed me in Windows and it annoys
> me in Gnome.  The fact that it's easier to turn off in Windows than it
> is in Gnome is significant, I think.

How about the fact that Nautilus (if you're using another WM) fires up,
blots out your root window, sprays crap all over it, and rebinds your
keys?  There's *reasons* why Unix apps are (usually) designed modularly,
with tightly defined scopes.  GNOME violates this in spades.

It's very nice if you're going to lock yourself into a room with GNOME,
all GNOME, only GNOME, and nothing but the GNOME.  It sucks if you
happen to live elsewhere but visit occasionally.

Peace.

    Our software isn't released, it escapes!