January 6: Social gathering
2005 May 10 00:08

Re: [vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

On Sunday 08 May 2005 08:07 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:21:08PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> <smip>
>
> > Somehow I'm just not very concerned with the usability angle
> > after spending my last 10 waking hours trying to get an
> > ordinary and allegedly-fully-supported (by Sane) scanner
> > working.  And before that another couple of days getting a
> > printer working with very poorly documented and unsupported
> > vendor-supplied drivers.
>
> This was with Kubuntu, Ubuntu, both, or neither?

Ubuntu, but it doesn't really matter.  None of the issues
concerned the desktop.

> > You can still install KDE stuff -- I installed both Kate and
> > KMail which are relatively happy on the Gnome desktop.
>
> I've heard Ubuntu "comes with" KDE, but I guess not out-of-the-box.
> Is it trivial to switch completely from the Gnome environment you
> get out of the box, to a completely non-Gnome, KDE-only desktop
> with regular Ubuntu?

That's pretty much what Kubuntu is, except they get you there
from the install CD.  I have not done it the way you describe,
and I hear it's supposed to work, though considering that
Kubuntu has its share of problems I would say it's not a
fast path to happiness.

Considering what I know now, I would not start with Ubuntu
nor Kubuntu if what I want is a pure KDE desktop.

-- Rod