2005 May 09 00:38

Re: [vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

Re: [vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

Bill Kendrick wrote:
I've heard Ubuntu "comes with" KDE, but I guess not out-of-the-box.
Is it trivial to switch completely from the Gnome environment you get out
of the box, to a completely non-Gnome, KDE-only desktop with regular Ubuntu?

The one time I tried Ubuntu, the first thing I attempted was getting KDE. I activated the "world" repository and then installed KDE. Everything installed fine, but the resulting KDE was "ugly". In particular, there was no logic to the kmenu tree, with a lot of stuff not showing up in the kmenu at all. Sure, I could have manually edited the kmenu, but I wasn't impressed and started over with Fedora.

Jonathan